Smek for President!
(Little, Brown Books for Young Readers Feb. 9, 2016)
, Reprint Edition
In this much anticipated sequel to The True Meaning of Smekday, Tip and J.Lo are back for another hilarious intergalactic adventure. And this time (and last time, and maybe next time), they want to make things right with the Boov.
After Tip and J.Lo banished the Gorg from Earth in a scheme involving the cloning of many, many cats, the pair is notorious-but not for their heroics. Instead, human Dan Landry has taken credit for conquering the Gorg, and the Boov blame J.Lo for ruining their colonization of the planet. Determined to clear his name, J.Lo and Tip pack into Slushious, a Chevy that J.Lo has engineered into a fairly operational spaceship, and head to New Boovworld, the aliens' new home on one of Saturn's moons.
But their welcome isn't quite as warm as Tip and J.Lo would have liked. J.Lo is dubbed Public Enemy Number One, and Captain Smek knows that capturing the alien is the only way he'll stand a chance in the Boovs' first-ever presidential election.
With the help of a friendly flying billboard named Bill, a journey through various garbage chutes, a bit of time travel, and a slew of hilarious Boovish accents, Tip and J.Lo must fight to set the record straight-and return home in once piece. Praise for Smek for President!* "Rex is a comic genius."
-School Library Journal, starred review * "[P]lenty of gleeful ridiculousness adorns this outing, which is illustrated with Rex's own fanciful comics...This sequel shares the strengths of its predecessor: the loving friendship between Tip and J.Lo, the respect for the absurd, and the social consciences of the teen protagonist and her ET BFF."
-Kirkus Reviews, starred review
"Light political satire mixes with action, death rays, and time travel, making this book a smart, fun ride."
"Rex packs his sequel with loads of action and a steady spotlight on friendship...And his humor is, as it was in Smekday, laugh-out-loud funny."
-The Horn Book
Praise for The True Meaning of Smekday
* "First-time novelist Rex has written an imaginative, wacky, hilarious sci-fi story that will appeal to fans of Eoin Colfer and Jon Scieszka. Lively cartoon-paneled illustrations are interspersed throughout and add to the fun. This is a fast-paced adventure with a whip-smart protagonist, a lovable and resourceful extraterrestrial, and plenty of social commentary."
-School Library Journal, starred review
* "Who knew the end of the world could be so hilarious? ? Rex's high-octane fantasy could fairly be called an apocalyptic comedy."
-Publishers Weekly, starred review
* "[G]uaranteed to tickle the middle-school funny bone."
-Booklist, starred review
- The Smek Smeries (2) (Book 2)
- 1484709691 / 9781484709696
- 4.0 oz.
- 5.25 x 0.63